Tuesday, March 15, 2016

To the girl on TV

I can point out all your mistakes because i watch you very closely.
I follow your every move.
When you fall, i am there to point that out.
When you start to rise, i am there waiting for you to stumble.
I watch you, closely.
I feel that it is my duty to remind you that you cannot afford to make mistakes, that you cannot afford to be human.

I know when you take too long in the toilet.
I know when what you write is below the standard i have set for you.
I know when what you wear is not what i would rather you wear.
I have watched you too long that i am afraid i cannot tell the difference between your life and mine.
When you fail it is as though i have failed.
I cannot let that happen.

I see now that i got it all mixed up.
I was never meant to be your shadow.
My life was mine to live but i chose to live yours instead.
I watched your back so long i forgot to watch mine and when i started to stoop, i was too busy pointing out your stoop i didn't see mine.

I am old and grey now but i have not lived a life that i can say was mine.
I cannot tell my grand children your stories.
They will ask for mine.
I do not have grand children, 
I was too busy watching your life, calculating your mistakes, i forgot to meet someone and have a life with them.

Perhaps i should blame myself, for not living.
But why blame me when i can blame you?
They placed you right in front of me
Society told me you were who i should be like
All i did was follow
So i tried to shape you
Tried to make you the me i should have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment