Thursday, September 17, 2015

My name is William, I fix cars

Let me tell you something about myself.
I do not have a cent saved up in any bank account. I have a good job and every so often, i do these gigs that pay better than my job. I however, do not have savings. Yes, perhaps i am stupid, careless even. You can describe me as you wish.

My father was a very rich man. I got a good education at the schools that met the standards he and his peers set. My mother was a beautiful woman whose sole purpose had become to smile and nod when he spoke. At a certain point in my life, i remember her having a voice. I do not know what happened to it. She just went silent and stayed that way. She died a couple of years ago, i was 14years old then. It was a sad but quick affair. She was buried and gone.

My father never remarried but there was a woman that came to live with us a few months later. She was even more quiet than my mother but she possessed a quiet strength. I always felt that my father had his hands full once the door closed behind them. He always came out more human. A little less loud and more tolerant of the rest of us. She often smiled at us and went about her day. I never knew if she even liked us, but i know it was because of her that we were spared many beatings.

When i was 18, they packed up and left. My father was 50years old. I am the first born child of 4. The youngest was 8. I was away in boarding school with two of my other siblings. The youngest, Estelle, was left with my grandmother, my mother's mother. My father came to see me in school and said "they" were after him and he thought it best to leave us behind as he could not secure the necessary documents for us all at a go. He said it would be done in the next few months and we would find them all set up for us.

That was the last time i ever saw him. My father died. His body was found in that place where he went. I do not know what state they found him in, or how he looked. That was a year later. I do not know where she went. We just never heard from either of them after they left. I do not know the real story, even now at 30.

There was so much fighting for the property after he died, relatives and children i didn't know. A boy a few years older than me was named heir and we were told he was our older brother. I was 19 and i didn't care.

We were already all split up by then. I was at the University working part time at a garage where i played around with people's cars all day learning the trade. I lived in a hostel. Two of my siblings lived with an aunt and Estelle lived with my grandmother.

They took everything. Within a year, i was out of school as my tuition was too expensive and my father's money was not available for us anymore.

I joined two friends who had gotten into the car import business. I had already quit school and so i had enough time to learn and grow in the business. I made enough money from it to pay my siblings tuition through school. It went so well i feared it was illegal. I never did go back to school.

When the money comes in, i hand in my tithe, pay my bills, take care of my siblings and whoever else is in my way to take care of. I do not have any money on my account. I do have an account because that is where the shop sends my pay. We prefer to call it a shop although really it is a garage. It was my idea but i am no manager. I know only how to make money and give it.

I know that girls like a man who can fix their every car worry without leaving a nasty smell. Keep it clean and do not make her seem stupid. I know that there is a class of men who like to have their car tended to by a clean expert who can speak their language. I am good at what i do and the shop is doing real well.

I cannot bring myself to amass wealth. I find the idea of having something for people to fight over once i am gone repulsive.

There is a girl i like though. She has big plans. When we sit and talk, she asks me what i want for my future, where i want to live, if i plan to ever build my own house. She says i should stop playing God trying to save everyone, and prepare for the family i shall have. That means i should start putting aside money.

I do not want people fighting over a thing that they can lose. I do not want to lose myself in the things that money can buy. I do not want to be my father. I like that i can buy whatever i need when the money comes in, which is often. I do not know if i want to join the world where money speaks louder than people.

Perhaps i am silly. Actually, i know i am. I think i like silly though. But i also like this girl.


4 comments:

  1. I like William very much, I think he did like me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. William is so much like a lot of people. He gives valid reasons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad there are those who identify with him.

      Delete